About Me

May 22, 2017

New Island Project.

There are so many things I love about our kitchen but 
the island is truly my favorite ~ I smile at it often. 


We've never had an island. Our kitchens have always
been so small in the past. Now that we have space, I
can't imagine how we survived trying to make meals
for a big family in such tiny spaces. We did it but it
makes me appreciate my new roominess even more.
Above is a shot of a kitchen island with two brackets.


We ended up overhanging out countertops but didn't
know what we wanted to do to trim it out, so we left
it until we could decide. I found a set of brackets, like
 the ones above that are perfect in style but are a bit 
fragile. Made out of a material that I was worried would 
break if our little guy was too rough with pushing his 
chair back in one day, so we squashed that idea. I may 
use them for a wall idea so have tucked them away. The
countertop is granite, so it's super heavy but it doesn't
need any extra support on the overhang as it's not really
a big piece on that side. What we want to do is add in
a decorative look and the picture above is our idea.


A few weeks ago while we were shopping, we stopped
in at our local "re use" shop and found two columns.


They're old and banged up but that's the look we're
going for. And if our little guy bangs them up more,
no one will be the wiser. We filled a few holes and
will sand them down. Then a few coats of creamy
ivory chalk paint and we'll be set to go. I'm looking
forward to adding this decorative touch to the island.
And happy that we can do it on a budget. Each column
was $10 (marked down from $20), we already had
the wood filler and the paint. A "not too hard" project
on a limited but wise budget. Pictures to follow soon.

No comments: